Thursday, February 19, 2009

Poetry Break: NCTE Award Poet

What a great place to look for some neat poems about the first day of school. This anthology contains poems covering a variety of topics, the changing seasons, playing outside with friends, animals at the zoo, reading poems, changing emotions and everything else in between. The poem I chose to highlight appeals to me because of the simple truthfulness behind the words. I couldn't help but connect with this because, when I was in school I remember one of my biggest fears was would I remember anything after summer vacation from last year? Everyone has days when you just can't seem to find your other sock or you misplace your glasses and you feel like you forgotten a piece of your brain.

Lilian Moore hits this one out of the ball park with her neat phrases concerning the confusion of misplacing things...especially your head!

I LEFT MY HEAD


I left my head
somewhere
today.

Put it down for
just
a minute.

Under the
table?

On a chair?

Wish I were
able
to say
where?

Everything I need
is
in it!

Moore, Lilian. 1996 "I Left My Head." p.48. A Jar of Tiny Stars: Poems by NCTE Award-Winning Poets. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong, Boyds Mills Press.

Many great discussions can begin with this poem such as:
How long ago did you last search for a missing item?
this morning?
five minutes ago?
How good did you feel to find what was lost?

No comments:

Post a Comment